Thursday, October 10, 2013

The new age of technology

Technology is definitely changing with time. Now things have changed so much so that advertisers have targeted individuals specifically. When you look anything up on the computer or click on ads, they then in return will show you ads geared towards you. As well as send you offers in the mail. Its a little uneasy to know that your being tracked, especially in the privacy in your own home.  And then knowing you can't do anything about makes me feel like certain rights I have are being violated. We should all have to right to chose whether or not we want to be tracked. This may result in a good thing for the marketers to have. They can get more sales when they specifically target you and give you discounts. I have looked at ads when I'm on my computer, not knowing that I'm being tracked. I would think wow I love those shoes, and there also on sale! But now knowing its because I'm being tracked doesn't make me happy. Another thing that marketers and advertisers do is stereotype. I see many ads, even today that convey women are basically only good to cook and clean and need a man to do things. Women are shown as helpless and fragile creatures, but even in the 80's there were independent strong women. I see ads too that show if you don't look like the girls from Victoria secret, your not beautiful because society says you have top be skinny but also be curvy to be sexy and beautiful. But then I've also seen ads that say real women are thick and curvy, and if your skinny your not beautiful.  These ads paint a picture that you have to look a certain way, like a run way model. Or there's been more people and ads saying you can be curvy and thick and its not a bad thing in society. But you still see models who are deathly skinny. Its like a revolving door. Society can't make up there mind. But its all not right in my opinion. Your allowed to have privacy, and you shouldn't be put down because of how you look.

4 comments:

  1. I do agree with you on the fact that technology has changed and improved over time. I completely agree with you on feeling a little uneasy about the fact that we are being tracked on the things that we search on the computer and get mails about things that we looked you. I think that with the more advances we have on technology the more and more people are going to start to feel unsafe. Just knowing that someone can find you and track you down with the things you put up on the computer is very scary to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s a myth that we can’t do anything about internet tracking. As consumers, we do have the right to not use certain products and decline to share certain information. It’s just inconvenient to do so; reading entire user agreements and privacy statements, limiting the products we use to those that do not share our information, and finding computer settings that prevent cookies can be time consuming and downright tedious.
    I agree that the stereotyping in advertisements is excessive. The mixed messages about idealized body images are also comically contradictory. From “big is beautiful” to the skinny fads, I’m tired of hearing how I’m supposed to look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of this is because of control. Everyone wants control. That is exactly what media and advertisers do. They want to influence and control our views on things, and control the things we purchase. They want to control the way women should view their bodies, and the way me view their masculinity. It's all a power trip, a very sad power trip. Why do they want all this control? What will they do with it once they gain it? Will they ever gain full control either? It's all sad. In the mean time it's important we hold our own, and keep control the things we can, and not control what we can't its all about balance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked how you pointed that when we are not acknowledging being tracked, we would find the advertisements and discounts being presented as convenience. You would have never guessed how these discounts are coming about if you would not have researched about the topic of advertisement tracking. I also entirely agree that advertisements are just another method of society to tell you what to do. Of course society always changes what is considered in or not. It just depresses me to see such advertisements objectifying women to be either curvy or super skinny. It’s like sometimes society itself is confused on what is considered ideal.

    ReplyDelete